Introducing our toolbar redesign
Refreshed, relaxed and ready for the new school year? Kami certainly is!
Our engineering team has been hard at work all summer creating a fresh toolbar design to make navigation easier than ever. As always, our reshuffle has been based on direct feedback from all our users – thank you, by the way, it’s always great to hear from you!
What has changed?
Don’t worry, not too much, and it’s all for the better!
Mainly we have rejigged our tools so that they fall into four logical sections. From top to bottom we now have:
- Reading and manipulation tools (e.g the select tool, select annotations, and text to speech)
- Markup tools (e.g text box, comment)
- Creativity tools (e.g drawing, shapes and eraser)
- Features for inserting media (e.g insert image, insert signature)
Some other things to look out for are:
- Our helpful Hand tool has made an appearance on our toolbar, rather than being hidden under the menu.
- We have promoted the dictionary to a main tool rather than a sub tool.
- The Highlight, Strikethrough, and Underline tools have been moved under a new section called “markup”.
What is in the toolbar?
Let’s have a look at all of the tools you can find on our toolbar sections and how they can be used:
Reading and manipulation tools
At the heart of Kami is the ability to close read and move through files. To do this we have:
- Select tool: Your basic mouse tool allows you to interact with the file without creating annotations. You can also use it to copy and paste.
- Hand tool: Expressly for navigating the file, the hand tool enables easy scrolling.
- Text to speech: This tool has two modes. Simply clicking it will read the whole file out loud from the beginning. Alternatively, you can highlight the text selection that you wish to hear. For added fun try changing the accent!
- Dictionary: This tool allows you to select a word that you would like to see defined.
To annotate, highlight or otherwise edit your file you can use our selection of markup tools:
- Highlight: This tool allows you to highlight text throughout a file. You can also free draw with the Highlight Tool by selecting the ‘Box Highlighter’ option.
- Comment: This tool can be used to select a section of text and then make associated comments within the automatically created annotation box. Comments or annotations can be made through the keyboard, via voice typing (where spoken words are translated into text on the page), audio or video.
- Text box: This tool allows you to place text boxes anywhere in their document, perfect for filling in forms. Both the color and size of the text can be adjusted as needed.
- Equation: This tool allows you to create equations by using the symbols palette (click the pi symbol to see the full selection).
- Strikethrough: The Strikethrough Tool allows you to cross out text. This is most useful for those editing or proofreading a document.
- Underline: The underline tool can be used to help emphasize a point or draw attention to the area.
To add some color and fun to your file you can try:
- Drawing: This tool allows for freehand drawings to be made anywhere on the file. The stroke thickness and transparency can be adjusted, as can color. The tool can be adapted to create perfectly straight lines by holding shift before drawing.
- Shapes: This tool allows you to place shapes on your PDF. You can create circles, squares, and lines in any colour and to whatever size.
- Eraser: The eraser tool removes shapes, text, signatures, and drawings that have been made onto your PDF. To use the eraser tool, simply click and drag over the annotation that you wish to remove.
Features for inserting media
Lastly, you can insert a range of media into your Kami file:
- Insert image: Using this tool you can insert an image from a variety of locations: your own documents, Google Drive, Google safe search or a webcam photo.
- Insert signature: This is used to upload and store your signature to sign PDF files quickly. You can upload an image of your signature, draw it into the file or even draw on your phone – whichever method works best to get the highest quality version.
Need help using Kami? Go to our Help Center to get the latest tips and advice from our team.